Saturday, April 30, 2016

Spicy Shrimp Avocado Lettuce Wraps

  • If you are looking for something extremely quick and easy, this is your recipe. It's one of my go-to recipes before going in to work night shift! 
  •  
  • (Not my beautiful food photo!)
  • Although, after making it the first time I realized it wasn't enough for me and my always "starving" husband.  The shrimp itself has quite the kick to it without the jalapeƱos but I'm sure it would add some really awesome flavor! (Haven't tried it myself yet, with all the heartburn I had during pregnancy I tend to lean away from super spicy foods). From start to finish using frozen cooked shrimp, I made this recipe in about 20 minutes! Can't beat that for easy!
  •  

  • Ingredients:

  • For the slaw:
  • ¾ cup shredded coleslaw mix (3/4 green container)
  • 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
  • ⅓ teaspoon honey
  • 2 teaspoons chopped cilantro

  • For the shrimp:
  • 6 large peeled and deveined shrimp (could definitely use more, had plenty of seasoning left over)
  • ½ teaspoon cumin
  • ½ teaspoon chili powder
  • ½ teaspoon garlic powder
  • ½ teaspoon paprika
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil

  • For the lettuce wraps:
  • 2 leaves of romaine lettuce (try to find bigger, leafier heads of romain that have the larger outer leaves - these will work better). Cut off the top of the romaine leaf and just use that, discarding the light green, crunchy bottom (discard?! No way that's perfectly good food! I left them on and enjoyed the crispy crunch)
  • ½ avocado, thinly sliced (I am utterly in love with avocado so I used a whole one)
  • 1 jalapeno, very thinly sliced (optional topping)
  • Extra cilantro, chopped (optional topping)

Directions:
1. Combine all slaw ingredients in a bowl and set aside while you cook the rest of the dish. Add salt and pepper to taste if desired. 
2. Combine cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and cayenne pepper in a small dish. Lay out shrimp on a plate or paper towel and liberally season both sides with seasoning mix. (Make sure shrimp is dried after washing or thawing to make seasoning mix stick better).
3. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat in a skillet. 
4.  When hot add shrimp and sear both sides until thoroughly cooked. (Or if using cooked shrimp already make sure it's heated throughout). 
5. To assemble, add desired amount of slaw to romaine lead, avocado slices, 3 cooked shrimp, and top with jalapeƱos if you want extra heat! 
Enjoy!

*For those of you doing 21 Day Fix this is approved! 
**Gluten-free

A big thank you to The Garlic Diaries for this amazingly quick and simple recipe! Many of your recipes are at the top of my fav list these days!!

No comments:

Post a Comment