Sunday, February 22, 2015

Chicken and White Bean Stuffed Peppers

This was the first time I ever made stuffed peppers so I wasn't sure what to expect.  To my surprise this was a hit for both my husband and me! It was simple, HEALTHY, and delicious!
Ingredients:

2 tsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup parsley or cilantro (I actually didn't have either of these!)
5 bell peppers red or green (I used 4 green plus the extra half of the red pepper)
14 oz shredded cooked chicken breast (I cheated and used a small seasoned rotisserie...)
1/2 tsp cumin
adobo or salt to taste (I used adobo)
15.5 oz can of any white beans (I used white kidney beans)
1/2 cup reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese (I may or may not have used a little more...I'll never tell)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350°

In a medium pan, heat oil on medium heat.  Add chopped onion, garlic, parsley, and red pepper.  Saute until soft, about a minute.  Add chicken and season with cumin and adobo (be careful if you use a seasoned rotisserie to not over season!).  Add beans and 1 to 1/2 cups water (will be using chicken broth next time! But still delicious with water) and simmer for about 5-10 minutes, until it thickens and the liquid reduces.  Adjust spices to taste.

Cut peppers in half and remove stem and seeds.  Place peppers in an oven-proof dish.  Fill each pepper with about 1/3 cup of chicken and bean mixture (I didn't measure this part and ended up filling 9 halved peppers including the extra red pepper half).  Pour about 1/3 cup water on the bottom of the dish.  Cover tight with foil and bake for 30 minutes.  Remove foil, top with cheese and bake uncovered for another 5 minutes. 

Thank you skinnytaste for a healthy, yet delicious recipe!




No comments:

Post a Comment